Sunday, February 04, 2007

Confessions

I just finished Christopher Moore's LAMB: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal. Veeery interesting. It's a witty fictional tale about the missing years of Christ's life from his birth in a manger to his reappearance as a 30 year old, narrated by his best friend Levi, also known as Biff.
The story is full of sarcasm, irony and LOL twists on biblical references. But a funny thing happens about 1/3 of the way in: the humour begins to ride a current of resounding depth. The comedy, present in practically every paragraph, serves to unmask an certain insightfulness as the son of God learns about humankind, God's will and his own tragic legacy. Biff is the perfect foil for the serious-minded Messiah, yet in some ways, because he is allowed to succumb to the wordly pleasures his best friend is denied, becomes the smarter, more savvy of the two.
I highly recommend this book, but be warned; it will make you laugh,... and think!

My confession? I just went through my bookshelf looking for the shortest, easiest read I could find! Though LAMB was only 430 odd pages (give or take), the printing was really small and it was the large kind of paperback (can't remember the correct name for those,... anyone??), and even though it was packaged as a comedy, I didn't find it 'light' reading. I mean, come-on... we all know how THAT story ends, don't we? Hardly a HEA!! (Well, for some, I guess it could be looked at that way...)
So now I seek a breezy bit of fluff that won't take anymore than 5-6 hours to a feel-good finish.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're doing great with the fifty book challenge, Wylie! And LAMB sounds like a fascinating story.

Vicky said...

I love fluff. Sometimes that's exactly what you need. Just something quick and with a happy ending. :) Hope you find a good one.

Amy Ruttan said...

You and Vicky are kicking my butt. How do you find time to read. Ugh! Well, I do have an excuse for these last couple of weeks. I bow to you 50 Book challenge master.

Anonymous said...

Hey Wylie! LAMB happens to be one of my favorite books, by one of my fave authors. Just thought I'd tell ya...

And those large paperbacks? They're called "trade" paperbacks. :)