Monday, February 19, 2007

The Quiet House

The weekend of family, friends, and fun came to a sleepy halt this morning when I bid adieu to our last guests at 5:30am. My husband's family actually left Sunday morning (also at 5:30 am -- that dang Bermuda flight!!) but we got an unexpected and lovely surprise when our friends, also from Bermuda, missed their connection from Montreal and didn't make the Bermuda flight -- hence their overnight with us. One quick sheet & towel exchange, a take-out Thai dinner, a nice bottle of red later, the visit was done. My oldest son, Light, is knackered having entertained his cousin, then best buds (the twins) for 4 days of non-stop action, but we sent him off to school looking and feeling more energized than either hubby or I can comprehend! Ah, the resiliency of youth!!
I feel like a total hag-bag, and my TO DO list has grown to epic proportions, but I admit to being a tad sad to say goodbye to the chaos that ruled our lives since last Wednesday.
With Sweetness at the sitters and Light at school, the house is eerily quiet. I can hear the occassional thump as the cat jumps down from whatever piece of forbidden furniture he managed to gain access to when my back was turned, and hourly toilet flush indicating that Mr. Wylie has had yet another cup of coffee -- otherwise, for the moment, it's just me and my keyboard. Ahhhhh....
That said, in the next few minutes I must pop on a load of laundry, dash to post office, then the gym, then collect Sweetness, and make lunch for Light before he stumbles snow-covered through the front door yelling, "MOM, I'm home! What's for lunch?"
Let the chaos begin...

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I missed you Wylie!! I'm so glad you had a great visit. There's nothing better than having company hang out at your place. I love it. Unless they stay for a month that is...

Anonymous said...

That comment had the feel of a paragraph or two from a good book .... hummmmm ... could your memoirs be formulating?

Amy Ruttan said...

Glad you had wonderful albeit tiring weekend!

If we could only all go to Bermuda. Me tired of snow and grey bleh weather.

I second Christine's comments, I missed ya!

Wylie Kinson said...

Thanks guys! I was jonesing to blog something awful, but couldn't seem to steal even a moment to get onto the internet.
In addition to entertaining guests, I was suffering from an enerty-zapping, heavy-duty chest cold (still am, in fact) AND trying to get romANTICS out! All too much happening at once.
Tonight I'm going to have a good read and find out what I missed! (besides Britney's shaved head!!!)

Amy Ruttan said...

I just opened and voraciously read the romANTICS. If I didn't tell you before, I tell you now, I love what you do with that newsletter! Awesome job!

Wylie Kinson said...

Thanks, Amy! Does that mean you didn't notice the FOUR layout 'oopsies' I made? *blush*
Oh well,... I was rushed.

Anonymous said...

Great to see you back, Wylie! I've missed you. :) Sounds like a wonderful time was had by all!

Robyn said...

'hourly toilet flush'

Gad. When did we become so attuned to our mates' potty habits?

Wylie Kinson said...

LOL Robyn -- When they put the bathroom beneath my office!!