Friday, May 02, 2008

God who?

Last year - April 27th 2007, to be exact, I posted about my friend's 2 year old son who was diagnosed with cancer -- a nasty brain tumor. Original post is here.
A year long battle that included 3 brain surgeries (the sucker kept coming back), 3 rounds of aggressive chemo, a bone marrow transplant, and finally, radiation to get rid of any lingering cells, and Owen seemed to be fine.
The family went on a fab trip to Disney, thanks to the Make a Wish Foundation, in celebration of Owen's return to good health.
Upon their return, Owen had one last MRI, just to make sure all was well.

All isn't well.
It's back.
There's nothing they can do.

My heart is breaking. I can't write, I can't sleep, I'm afraid to be alone with my thoughts... but this isn't about me.
Please pray for Owen and his family, to whatever higher being you subscribe.

8 comments:

Carrie Lofty said...

Wylie, I don't know what to say. I hope you will of comfort to your friend and her family. My thoughts are with them.

M. said...

I'm so sorry. Thank goodness the family had a space of carefree holiday time together. I will keep them in my prayers.

Leah Braemel said...

Oh, Wylie!

As M. said, I'm glad they had a bit of carefree holiday time together, but after all that battling ...

My prayers to the entire family, and all those affected.

Wylie Kinson said...

Thanks so much Leah, m. and Carrie.
I, too, don't know what to say... or do. As a person used to 'action', I've never felt so helpless. I can't even imagine what Owen's parents are going through... how powerless they are to protect their son. And yet, as parents, it's our biggest job, right? To protect our children from the evils of the world.
I'm very angry at my 'God' right now. Something I'm going to have to come to terms with.
I'm also (unreasonably) mad at Mr. Bush. I keep wondering if those billions and billions of dollars spent on a useless freaking WAR couldn't have cured a number of horrible diseases by now.
*shakes head in disgust*

Anonymous said...

Oh, Wylie... ((((((hugs))))))) Reading your post, my eyes filled with tears. I'm so sorry.

Please know my thoughts and my heart are with your friend, her family, and her precious little boy. How heartbreaking.

Red Garnier said...

Oh Wylie. My heart is breaking too. I am praying fervently, fervently for Owen and his family. My heart is with you, my thoughts are with you, and my prayers are with you and this amazing, special little boy!

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear that. I understand how difficult that is. It's even worse when he's only 2. Owen is in my thoughts and prayers.

Julia Phillips Smith said...

Very, very sorry to hear this news, Wylie. Sending prayers to Owen and his family.