Thursday, June 26, 2008

Summertime, S'mores and Blockbusters

ACK!
School is OUT!
Hot summer days filled with playparks, mini-golf, and backyard shenanigans begin. I may as well say good-bye to the blogworld now, at least for the next 2 months, because between kids and travel, computer time will be severly limited.
What little time personal time I can squeeze will be filled with judging entries in two contests (why oh why do I volunteer for these things?! It's not that I'm unenthusiastic, it's just that the timing always seems to SUCK!), the next assignment in the children's lit course I'm STILL doing, research/submit a completed story to children's mags, and alas... trying to get a few words into my current contemporary-romance wip.
Not to mention preparing/packing/manicuring/shopping for my mid-summer trip to the RWA National Conference in San Fransisco.
Sing with me now "Oh where, oh where has my sanity gone, Oh where, oh where can it be?"

I'm a single parent this week as the DH has gone off to Mexico on business. Tough life, eh?
The kids and I have BIG plans this weekend. We're going camping!!
In our basement.
Yup -- sleeping bags, s'mores, and scary movies!!
And indoor plumbing is only a flight of stairs away :)

I'm always looking for whacky ideas to amuse the kids, so if you've got any, please share in comments...

Summertime also means a crop of new movies. Two that I'm looking forward to are Hancock (looks hilarious and I love Will Smith) and Wanted (James McAvoy - yum, and Angelina kickin' ass -- it's got to be good). I'm unsure about the new Batman movie. Can't decide if I can sit through a couple of hours of Heath Ledger at his creepiest, for obvious reasons.
What summer movies are you looking forward to?

Happy summer everyone. Blogs will be spotty at best until September, but don't give up on me!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am looking forward the same movies you are - Wanted and Hancock. The Batman movie looks pretty good - saw previews for it a couple of days ago but yeah, Heath is extra creepy. Which makes the entire situation a little creepy...and sad.

Have fun camping in the basement! Sounds found. :)

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

I've been doing the single parent thing all week, myself. Keep everyone busy and it'll be fine.

Holler if you need anything. One night, we made Bagel Bites and I cut up vegetables and we snacked while watching Bee Movie. That was fun. Otherwise, it's been a lot of going to the pool and keeping busy. It keeps their minds off their dad. I hope.

Jane said...

I'm most excited about "The Dark Knight." Everybody is saying it's Heath's best performance. I'm also looking forward to the new X-Files and Mummy movies. "Wanted" looks really entertaining.

Shelley Munro said...

The shorts for Hancock are playing on our tellies this week. I see kids down here have a couple of weeks holiday coming up as well. That's enough to make me stay at home. On the plus side it's a good way to save money!

M. said...

finding it a little difficult to locate my sympathy for a temporary single mom who gets rewarded with...SAN FRANCISCO!!! and days on end surrounded by AUTHORS!!!!

(yes, I'm feeling a little bitter, why do you ask?) *g*

Anonymous said...

The day I give up on you is the day I get rid of my computer!

Amy Ruttan said...

Movies ... what the heck are those?

LOL!!

I was beading with the kids today. First day and Boo was "bored".

This is my first summer break from school! ACK! HELP!

Julia Phillips Smith said...

I'm going to see 'Wanted' tomorrow for opening night box office. I like to support my most awaited movies with opening box office if at all possible. Between James MacAvoy and the Russian director (he directed 'Night Watch' which I SO love) I'll be squealing with glee.

I'm a huge fan of Heath Ledger and his creepy Joker is a can't-possibly-miss for me.

By the way, I quite enjoyed 'Stardust' - Brad and I saw it at the theatre.

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on Hancock & Wanted and I agree about not being too sure about Batman. I'll probably see it though. I think I'm going to cut back on blogging for July & August (Not that I can cut back much more;-)so I'll see you in the fall. Have a great summer. Enjoy San Fran!

Leah Braemel said...

We did the camping in the backyard thingy (never thought of the basement.) Gee, it's been so long since my kids were little ... zoos are always good, movies for those hot days - except the prices are so expensive these days.

Thomma Lyn said...

hehe, the basement camping sounds like a lot of fun -- especially the scary movies! Have a blast! :)

And wow, sounds like a busy summer for you, but a fun one, too. Enjoy, enjoy! :) I'll miss your blog posts, but I'll always check in, and yup, there's email, thank goodness and YAY!

Wanted looks like a fun movie -- will have to check that one out. :)

Anonymous said...

Awww... *hugs* I'm sure the angels will behave this summer.

As for movies, I went to see Indiana Jones 4. Other than that, I might go to see Batman - Dark Knight.