A friend mentioned that she'd had a few metal amalgams removed.
I thought she was talking about her star chart...
alas, I am stupid. Amalgams are dental fillings.
Like most good Canadian children who were raised on pixie sticks and MacIntosh toffee, I have a fair share of mercury amalgams myself so naturally I asked her why she was getting hers removed.
Apparently, mercury is a dangerous substance to have in our bodies (right Jeremy Piven??) and they've outright banned mercury amalgams in many countries. In Canada, they're not given to pregnant women or children. But the U.S. FDA seems to think they're okay.
I realize there are always two sides to the story, and having read a bit on both points of few, decided to share my favorite article (at least the one that made me groan, chuckle and gasp with fear):
I especially liked the bit about a school evacution due to a teeny tiny amount of mercury leaking from a necklace.
Perhaps this will age me, but when I was in school -- elementary and highschool -- a big highlight in science class was a game of Let's Chase the Mercury! whereby the teacher spilled the silver liquid on the floor and we stupid unsuspecting and now quite poisoned children ran after the little balls as they scattered about.
Any one else?? LOL
Guess I'll see you on the Alzheimer's Ward in a few...