Saturday, May 29, 2010

On Time

My youngest, aka Sweetness, turned six years old a few weeks ago and I've been dwelling on the fleetingness of time. Seems like only moments ago I was holding a newborn in my arms and now I've got a little man who reads big-boy books, can kick my butt in Mario Cart and can hold fairly intelligent conversations with his ten year old brother. He begins Grade One in the fall and though I'm excited for him, I'm suffering a savage case of The Nostalgias.

But I can't blame it all on him. My big sister celebrates her 50th birthday in a few weeks. For the record, I am waaaaay younger and it's my great pleasure to remind her of this on every occassion :)
A week later, my mom turns 90. NINETY!! And her age hasn't deterred her. She's still spry, still driving and doing her own housework and still the smartest lady I know.
And yesterday, my neice Kaitlyn, who spent ages four through five dressed in her Maid Marion Halloween costume which I swear was only a few years ago -- graduated university with a degree in political science.

Remember how summer holidays felt so loooong when you were a kid, and now, as an adult, it's a blip? Sweetness finishes Kindergarden on June 11th. He can't wait. Meanwhile, I'm panicking about losing my writing time for three months and fretting over the low word count on my current work in progress.

Scary business, this time thing...how in some cases it feels fleeting --like between blogposts --and in others, painfully and agonizingly slow --like during childbirth. Or when you're waiting for an email from your agent on the status of your book as it makes its rounds through the NY publishing houses :)

Since we both know it will be awhile until my next blogpost, I leave you with fond summer-time smoochies
xoxoxoxoxoxo

6 comments:

Julia Phillips Smith said...

Smoochies back, Wylie!

'my neice Kaitlyn, who spent ages four through five dressed in her Maid Marion Halloween costume'

That's my kinda gal.

Bonnie Staring said...

Somehow you'll make it all work, Wylie. You're smart dat way!

Wylie Kinson said...

Julia - I know, eh? My kind of gal too. I think her Maid Marion obsession had something to do with the fact that her mother and I watched Robin Hood: Prince of Theives every freaking night during the winter of 91/92. Back when Kevin Costner was considered hot :)

Hey Bon-bon!! Time goes by 'specially fast when one iz contest-judging ;)

M. said...

I don't have time to feel weepy about juniors growing up since I realized what appalling things are happening to my skintone, bloodvessels, and metabolism - in that order. It's like some cosmic in-joke I don't get.

Wylie Kinson said...

Oh M, You crack me up!! Yes... me too, but not necessarily in that order. I'm metabolism, eyesight, and joint pain. Lord have mercy!

Thomma Lyn said...

Oh time, that great bugaboo! I'm trying not to angst over time, but dang, it's hard when half the year is over and it still feels, to me, as though it ought to be 2007.

When I was little, five minutes could seem an eternity. Especially when I knew Mom would bring me home some candy.

My Gram, who lived to be 100 years old, told me that six months felt to her the way two weeks used to feel when she was younger.

Time.... SLOW DOWN!!!!

Smooches back, my friend, and H & P! And all appendages crossed for your book as it makes the rounds.