Monday, March 19, 2007

Men in tights

Took my oldest boy to Medieval Times yesterday for their dinner show. Wow!

But let's begin with the negative, so I can get it out of my system and finish this post on a positive note: The food was meh, at best. In fact, I'm being generous with a meh. Perhaps bleh is better. They serve chicken, a rib (that's right, a singular rib), half a roasted potato, soup and a piece of garlic bread. No cutlery. All food must be eaten with fingers. I don't object to the gnawing on meat torn from the bone with my fingers, but it must be palatable. This food wasn't. But you know, who cares, because while I was licking my greasy fingers, I was treated to an amazing display...

The show was fabulous, magical and made you feel as if you were shuttled back in time 700 years. For those of you not familiar with this chain-across-US-and-Canada dinner theatre, Medieval Times recreates a good old fashioned tournament, complete with a king, princess, falconry, knights, horses and fighting - not to mention treachery and betrayal!

The horses are incredible. I'm not up on horsey-knowledge, but I believe they use Andalusians - beautiful, delicate looking animals who actually look like they're dancing in the arena. (Hmmm... dancing, prancing -- could it be? Yes!)

The guests (that's us) are assigned seating in color coded bleacher-like seats and you must cheer for the knight who wears those colors. We had the black and white priest/warrior knight -- see photo 1. The tournament begins and the knights prove their skill on horseback with jousting, (that's the only one I know the official name of, so bear with me), spearing a target, catching these ringie things with ribbons attached and flag tossing. There's also a good deal of hand-to-hand combat with two handed swords, short swords, axes, maces, etc... They use real, but dulled, weapons, so you can actually see sparks flying as their swords clang. We cheered, jeered and got totally sucked in! Of course, all the fight sequences are choreographed -- no blood or mortal wounds -- and the victor is pre-determined,...
but how sick am I that I wanted this to be real?

VERY enjoyable show. Initially, I balked at the ticket price (eek!), but having seen what goes into putting this production together, it was completely worth the price, even with the bleh meal.
And did I mention that horse-riding, long-haired muscular men in leather, faux armor, and heavy weaponry are a total turn-on?

9 comments:

Robyn Mills said...

I've often wondered what it was like now will have to go... but not for the food!
I loved your post from yesterday too. Well done on participating... I had a work commitment with hubby so couldn't go more's the pity.... next time. Congrats on giving it your all!

Leah Braemel said...

I'm with Robyn - I've heard about it and wondered, and sort of wanted to go but the price held me back.

But with my hubby being a vegan I doubt he'd go for the chicken and rib dinner (or is there a choice - that must be a concern for others too).

Amy Ruttan said...

I want to go just for the hunky men doing ancient manly things. Things I write about. *sigh*, if it's still around when my chillins get older I will have to take them.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that sounds like fun, meh/bleh food aside.

Hubby and I haven't been to Medieval Times, but we went to an Old West show some years back where there were horses, cowboy types, and ostriches, of all things, running amok and people trying to ride them - so hilarious and goofy!

And guess what -- duirng the show, we gnawed on chicken without the benefit of cutlery. Wonder what the deal is with arena shows with no cutlery? ;)

Wylie Kinson said...

Hi Robyn & Leah -- Oh, do go. I give the show 2 thumbs up. When you think about it, looking good in faux armor and swinging swords aren't easy skills to master ;) but they also have to be excellent horseman, actors, dancers (for the choreographed fight scenes) and EXUDE sexiness.

Amy -- I didn't take the young 'un and am glad because there is no way he would have had the attention span. I'd say, wait til there 4 or 5 at least.

TL -- there are quite a few in the US, and if you get the chance, do go, just for fun!!

Vicky said...

We wanted to go one year when we had family come down from Europe, but we didn't. :( It sounds great though! Although... I'm a foodie... I need good food... otherwise I'll sit there complaining. Can't get past bad food! ;) Glad you enjoyed it!

Rhian said...

My #2 son just mentioned this place the other day when we were all discussing my kidnapping in June and subsequent birthday trip to Disney. He wants to go see jousting on the first night there. However Alpha Daddy wasn't muchly impressed by the concept so we'll see where they take the victim (me).

Unknown said...

I really wanted to go to this when I lived in ON. Now, we'll have to make a special trip.

Wylie, maybe this can be a hero for you. An actor from Medieval Times!

Sparky Duck said...

so the slogan wont be go for the food, stay for the show?