Monday, December 15, 2008

My Light Turned Nine

My mother-in-law flew up from Bermuda to spend some time with us and get some more of her shopping done, so it's been a bit of a whirlwind week. She left this morning, with more suitcases than she came with *insert knowing nod* and I think she may have accidently packed my sanity. It's a mere 10 days before the big fat dude in red velvet visits and I still have way too much to do!!

In fact, I'm only this much (hold forefinger and thumb really close together) closer to being ready for Christmas than I was last week.
Most of my cards are done, but a bad case of carpal tunnels syndrome is making the whole address-the-envelope thing a real painful challenge. They may be sitting in a box for a few more days.
Baking - done.
Presents - half way done.
Decorating - partially done. I can't believe it, but we haven't got our tree yet!! This is usually a first week of December thing... but between our weekend away at Great Wolf Lodge, and this past weekend (which I'll get to in a second), our living room is still devoid of greenery. Not to mention - I was sick sick sick - with some cold-plague all week. Yuk. I have no patience for sick.

Ah yes - Saturday the 13th marked a very important day in the Kinson household. My oldest, dearest, Light of my heart son turned nine. NINE!!
Friday night, instead of a bedtime story (yes, we still 'chat' before bed) I told him what I was doing exactly nine years before... how I'd hosted a dinner party, then after everyone left tried to adjust the curtain swag that was falling off the rod - giving up in frustration to go to bed and deal with it in the morning. Except that the damn swag stayed 1/2 down for MONTHS because by the next morning, I was at the hospital in the throes of labor.
And the rest, as they say, is history.

So instead of attending my RWA chapter Christmas social, I spent the afternoon at Chuck E Cheese. Try not to hate me.

And writing? Well, not much of that got done this week, but I eeked past the 55,000 mark which is pretty damn exciting for this non-novel writer.
Kid #2 is out of school starting tomorrow (poor Kid #1 is stuck until Friday) so my wordcount won't inch up until January - which is uber frustrating - but hey, that's life.

Off to mall... CHARGE!!!!!

Two personal notes:
TL - SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEing in the blogworld!! And have a very happy birthday, my friend :)
RED - Thank you again and again and again. I adore you!!!

15 comments:

Amy Ruttan said...

We missed you too!

Leah Braemel said...

Hate you? For having the patience, and love, to endure a whole afternoon at Chuck E Cheese? Nah, we got the better end of the deal, Wylie.

And congrats on the wordcount, that's great, especially considering how busy you've been.

Oh, and give Light a birthday hug for me. Double Digits next time. Soon it's been the teens. That's when the real fun starts. Mwahahahhaha!

Julia Phillips Smith said...

Happy Birthday to Light!

I laughed out loud at 'I think she may have accidently packed my sanity.' Ha! Ha! Ha! Could she have packed mine, too...? Ha! Ha! Ha...!

Shelley Munro said...

I sort of feel guitly after reading your post because I've been cruisin' along and I'm not the slightest bit stressed. Yep, guilty. Here you go - sending you some of my sanity to replace yours while it's AWOL in Bermuda.

Thomma Lyn said...

Happy Birthday, Light! :-D

And hang in there -- sounds like things are wild for you right now! And I'm sorry you were sick -- I hope you're feeling better. I've had a cold over the past week, too; not fun!

Congratulations on passing 55K -- WOO HOO, my friend!!! And thank you so much for the SQUEE and happy birthday wishes! :)

H & P!

Karen Erickson said...

Happy late Birthday to your boy! Whoo hoo! Chuck E Cheese! So jealous. Hahahahaha....

I'm pretty much done w/ stuff but I still need to bake (eek), help out with my daughter's Xmas program tomorrow night (OMG) and wrap all the presents. So yeah. It doesn't sound like much but it kinda is. I'm feelin' ya.

And I noticed the shout out to Red. Has she been good to you lately? Because she has been my savior! We could start a fan club. ;)

Wylie Kinson said...

Leah - double digits - ACK!! You had to throw that at me, didn'tcha... I can't even wrap my head around NIIIINNNNEEEE.

Julia - she had so much stuff in her suitcases that your sanity might just have got caught up in there too!! Just think... our sanity(s) are vacationing in Bermuda without us ;)

Wylie Kinson said...

Shelley - I want to hate you for your stress free cruisin', but I can't get past plain ole jealousy!!
I thought that moving AWAY from all extended family would simplify things, but alas... NOT. In fact, it's exponentially stressier.
But thanks everso for lending me some NZ sanity :)

Wylie Kinson said...

TL - Aside from coughing fits during the night and a smokers voice, I'm doing alright now, thanks. I hope your cold clears up soon :)

Karen - I did my baking early. All the more time to EAT IT!!
And, in case you didn't know, I am the PRESIDENT of the Red Garnier fan club :D

Jane said...

Happy Belated Birthday to your son. I've noticed that Red's blog isn't showing up.

Anonymous said...

I'm almost done with the shopping, but haven't started anything else and I don't even have kids. I hope you feel better and Happy Birthday to "Light".

Thanks for "following" my blog. My gidget was looking awfully pitiful. LOL.

Anonymous said...

Duh, that would be gadget or whatever that follow me thing is . . .

Wylie Kinson said...

Hi Jane -- thanks for catching that broken link. All fixed :)

Kristy -- kids or not, I see from your own blog that you're just as busy!
And thanks - I'm feeling a bit better, but this dang cold is giving a good fight to my immune system.

Red Garnier said...

Sweetie, I am rubbing my little hands in glee waiting to read some of that 55k words, ehh! Don't be shy, send them over. :) And I LOVE YOU MORE! So there!! Hugs and more hugs!

J.K. Coi said...

Wylie! So sorry about your stress levels, hon! I wish I could help, but alas, even though all my shopping and baking and decorating is done...now I'm in deadline mode and I've got a whole other set of stress to deal with :)

We missed you at the meeting, but I hope you had some good family time.