Sunday, July 16, 2006

Reading, Writing, Television (but not in that order)

On Reading - I just finished a Linda Howard - Killing Time - and thoroughly enjoyed it. Firstly, (is that a real word?) because I picked it up at Costco for $6.00 (what a bargain!!) and found that the lead characters were intersting and had some good old-fashioned chemistry.
I never intended this blog to be a book review site -- there are FAR too many out there to compete with (and who the hell am I to review some other author's baby, who they worked long and hard on, and they were so proud of!) -- so I'll leave it with this: I didn't expect the little plot surprise at all. I'm not talking about the ending, which wasn't really that great, but the little surprise one of the characters springs a few chapters into the book. Granted, I didn't read the back cover so I had no hint, no little clue, no tease ... which is exactly the way I like it. And the sex scenes were pretty hot. Not over-done, which makes them cheesy.
On T.V. - Man, do I miss House. Don't want to wish the summer away, but I really need my fix of the obnoxious doc and the reruns just don't do it for me. And I just heard that the final season of the Sopranos is going to be pushed back due to James Gandolfini's knee surgery. AHHHHH! Come on people! Can't you write the surgery into the damn show??? Have him shot again and film at the hospital? How can you do this to the loyal fans? HOW?!
I weaned myself down to one television show over the summer.
Rock Star: Supernova. Most of the talent is excellent, with the exception of a few (hello, Zayra? GO HOME!). But part of me already feels sorry for the winner, because, unlike last year when JD Fortune got the opportunity to front a well-established, very famous band (INXS), the winner of this years competition will have the honour of joining bad-boys Tommy Lee (Motley Crew), Gilby Something (Guns N Roses) and that pasty complexioned guy (Metallica), who are forming a new band called Supernova. So basically, they have no ready-made repertoire and who knows if they'll stay together long enough finish a tour?
I'm not crazy about hard-rock,
I prefer a little 'pop'-ier sound, but I do enjoy seeing the contestants perform. I feel obliged to root for the Canadian dude - though he's a bit Eddy Munster. He's freaky to watch, with his gross piercings and purple eye makeup - but he does suit the image of front man for the above mentioned stoners. My money is on Dilana, ... if they have the nerve to hire a woman. She has a wicked voice, though I'd venture to guess that she's been a two pack a day-er since junior high...
On writing - I'm a bit paralysed at the moment, creativity-wise. I'm waiting patiently for Bella Fiore to come out (could it be down to TWELVE more days?) and also waiting for a response for The Color of Passion from ... (I don't want to jinx it). I should hear any day now. I check my email about six times a day. Pathetic!! I feel in my bones that it'll be rejected, but that's okay. Really, it's okay. Or so I keep telling myself. I'll just polish it up and resubmit to another publisher. That first one was only for practice anyway. Or so I keep telling myself ...

No comments: