Sunday, September 10, 2006

I want my money back!!

I just read one of the absolute worst books I've ever had the misfortune to read. Six precious hours of my life are gone forever - wasted on bad literature. It's a shame. Normally, if a book isn't doing it for me, I put it down and try to forget about it. In this particular case I just couldn't because it was written by a very well-known, prolific, "New York Times Best Selling" author. Three chapters in I knew it was crap, but didn't want to believe it. I convinced myself that it would, no, had to get better. Alas... it didn't and I feel so cheated! The dialogue was pathetic, the plot atrocious, the characters ridiculous. I found three spelling mistakes - they were so obvious they jumped off the page - and one character's last name changed (for NO apparent reason) from Elizabeth Fargas to Elizabeth Verras within the 300 or so pages. Why? I guess that I, the poor reader, will never know. Or why was one character nicknamed Pitty Pat? They hinted that we would find out, but no-where in the book was this man's nickname mystery revealed. Duh!
The funny thing is, I don't blame the author, I completely blame the editors at Jove Books for releasing such drivel ... even if it came from one of there most famous writers. Someone needed the balls to stand up to Ms Author and say - uh uh. No way. Keep working on it. You can do better.
I want my $10.50 back!!!

No comments: