Sunday, November 05, 2006

Good News, Bad News and a Case of Pinot

My Mom is still visiting, but I found a few minutes (between shopping, watching old movies and arguing about my weight) to jot a quick entry.
Update in the life of the wannabe-award-winning-novelist:
  1. Got a critique partner, fellow blogger & Chippewa author, T.L. (Yeah!!) *happy dancing while putting on thick skin*
  2. Send updated ms for The Color of Passion to epublisher. Fingers, toes and eyes crossed. Waiting patiently with a case of Pinot Grigio. (no, not for celebration... to get me through the next six weeks of waiting).
  3. Saw The Prestige, starring Hugh Jackman, Christian Bale, Michael Caine and Scarlett Johanssen. Excellent mind-bender of a movie. If I were Ebert or Roper, my thumbs would be up.
  4. Ah, rejection... Nonsuch Beauty was rejected, but in a kind, helpful way. The editor was decent enough to point out my mistakes and tell me what she liked and disliked about the characterization. Comments for which I'm truly grateful. She also said, ahem, "you have an interesting voice". Big happy smile. See, it's not all bad. And as I've stated before, I'm not sure Nonsuch Beauty was ever meant to be published. I think it shall remain in my bottom drawer until such time I can incorporate either the idea or characters into a longer piece.
  5. Inspired by T.L.'s latest blog about quotes, am offering one of my favorites ('specially in light of my previous erotic publications!!):
"Always read something that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it."
~ PJ O'Rourke
What's on your nightstand?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LMAO @ the P.J. O' Rourke quote! 8-) And on my nightstand is Blonde, Joyce Carol Oates's novel about Marilyn Monroe. It's MAHvelous. Sad as hell, but MAHvelous all the same.

Sorry about the rejection -- sending virtual chocolate. :) But yes, isn't it great to get constructive feedback with a rejection! I love that. I think of such rejections as Warm, Fuzzy Rejections. Well, as warm and fuzzy as rejections can be! ;)

Wylie Kinson said...

Hmmm, virtual chocolate!
Thanks for the condolences.