Monday, February 26, 2007

Lover Eternal, Oscar Rant

What I said in my last post regarding vampire novels not my thing? Yeah,... never mind that. I just devoured JR Ward's Lover Eternal. DEVOURED.
I'll be honest, it started off shaky for me. I barely got through the first chapter: too many pop culture references, too much alpha-male testosterone, too many 'do you feel me, my brother's', a too many Wesley-Snipes-as-Blade images. But once I met Mary, the heroine facing another bout of leukemia, and vulnerable little John Matthew, a sub-sub-character whom I'm sure we'll be seeing much more of in sequels, I was hooked with a capital H.
I bought it thinking it was the first book in the Brotherhood of the Black Dagger series, but realized a few chapters in that I had picked up the second. This pissed me off to no end, because to know me is to know I despise starting in the middle. That alone would have made me put the book back on the shelf, but by the time I'd clued in, I was too far gone.

Watched the 79th Annual Academy Awards last night. I don't think I've missed a telecast since I was about 13 years old (that's a lot of Oscars!!) and I must say that last night's show was the most boring and disorganized show I ever witnessed. No fault of Ellen's,... but the director should be taken off the job. What was with all the lame camera angles, shots of Jack off-stage, and lingering closeups of Oscar on the floor? And to play off Jennifer Hudson while whe was being emotionally charming and letting the elderly Italian 'scorer' (Clint's word, not mine) babel on w/translation for 10 minutes after a 15 minute tribute was more than enough. The fact that Al Gore was THE HIGHLIGHT of the evening says plenty (with no disrespect to Mr. Gore -- but come on, it was a documentary!) And why does Jack ALWAYS get a front-row seat. ALWAYS. Tom Cruise presented, but wasn't in the audience and obviously didn't bring Katie (oops, I mean Kate). No Brangelina, no Matt :( or Dame Judi. George Clooney looked fab, and the ladies dresses were elegent and beautiful, but there were definitely a few 'big names' missing that I would have loved to see.
And one last rant. Who was the Vogue fool on the red carpet who kept referring to Jennifer Hudson as 'the people's princess'. Is he freaking mad?? How dare he dis Diana in that way!! Completely out of line, disrespectful and in very bad taste.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh this sounds good! Do you know what the first book is called? I might have to go out and get these.

Wylie Kinson said...

Christine -- Dark Lover is the first. And,... Oh my! I shouldn't like these alpha's so much.
Seriously.

Vicky said...

I think it's great that you were able to get into vampire type novel, I like that when written well they are absolutely sexy in a completely different way!

And what's wrong with Alpha males?

My husband and I watched bits and pieces of the awards, but that 'scorer' did he get an Oscar because he was nominated 5 other times and had not won those? Was I missing something? I didn't realize that that's how it worked. :)

Wylie Kinson said...

Vicky - I have no idea why the scorer got the Oscar. Probably an honorary thing 'cause he's done over 400 movies. Which is great! Except, they didn't have to spend so long on him and make Celine come out and sing the boring song, then let him make a speech, yada yada yada...

And I feel guilty for liking the metrosexual alpha's cause they're so unrealistic!! And if some guy acted like that in 'real life', he'd seriously be the butt of all my jokes...

Anonymous said...

I must be a dork -- I don't even know what a "metrosexual alpha" is! ;)

Amy Ruttan said...

I'm glad I watched AR then. I would have only watched the Oscars to see Dame Judi, but I pretty much knew Helen Mirren would win so I didn't bother. Good, I didn't miss Dame Judi, and ya what is the preoccupation with Jack Nicholson? I noticed that last year. Not that I mind Jack or anything.