Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Thursday Thirteen #12 - Feeding the Living


Following on from last weeks 13 People I'd Invite to Dinner in the Dead or Historical Category...
Here are the
13 LIVING People I'd Invite To Dinner

  1. Bono - musician turned humanitarian, he's got a passion for the less fortunate that is truly admirable. Of course, I'd also make him perform a few numbers from The Joshua Tree while I'm cooking.
  2. Jeff Bezos - the founder/owner/president of Amazon.com. The guy responsible for having best-sellers delivered to my door at a reasonable price deserves to break bread at my place. And he just seems like a really nice, funny, normal guy.
  3. Steve Jobs - the founder/creator/god of Apple Computers. He's invited so Mr. Wylie has someone to talk to while I'm sandwiched between #8 and #12.
  4. Richard Branson - British entrepreneur best known for his Virgin empire, which consists of over 200 companies, including Virgin Records, Virgin Atlantic Airlines and Virgin Publishing (who's line Black Lace published my first short story). He's a risk-taker, innovator, family man and all-round cool cat.
  5. Angelina Jolie - makin' up for all the ugly at the table. I know people either love her or hate her, but she's doing a lot of good in the world so she's welcome in my kitchen. Her and Bono would serve as perfect reminders that we should all appreciate the bountiful, extravagant feast on the table. And we'd all be a couple bucks poorer for the massive checks to the ONE Foundation. Money well spent!
  6. Ann Coulter - the ONLY reason she's there is so I could bitch slap her and make her eat cold porridge at the kiddy table.
  7. Nelson DeMille - author. I've read every one of his books and I'd just like to get into his head for a view hours. It's not that his writing is brilliant in a literary sense, but his subject matter, plots and characters always hook me. I could easily have had 13 authors on this list, but am purposely limiting myself in order to make this a well-rounded group.
  8. Brad Pitt - yes, my reasons are completely shallow. He's only invited for his hotness and he'd have to stay late to help me with dishes. Wearing only his undies. During dinner, he'd be seated next to me while Ang sits at the other end of the table with Bono and Hugo.
  9. Margaret Atwood - multi-award winning Canadian author. It's been said she's 'difficult' (whatever that means), but hell, I love her books and maybe if I seat her close enough to me, some of her brilliance may rub off. And if she does get 'difficult' during dinner, I'll put her with Ann.
  10. Hugo Chavez - controversial president of Venezuela, he evokes both vehement criticism and adulation for reasons that are vast and complicated. If you're not familiar with President Chavez, it would behoove you to check him out. He's an important guy on the world stage. (I'd let him throw rice at Ann)
  11. Jon Stewart - hell, everyone needs a laugh and he can deliver. He can also bring us up to date on what's what in US politics in a mixed-company-appropriate way. This was a toughy as I'm equally fond of Stephen Colbert, for the same reasons. Or Canada's Rick Mercer who can easily hold court with these guys.
  12. Daniel Craig - 'nough said.
  13. Pinkus Zucherman - I don't know much about this fellow, except that he's a world-famous musician and conductor, originally from Israel. I had the pleasure of seeing him play solo violin and conduct a chamber orchestra at the Bermuda Music Festival back in the late 90's. He turned the much over-played "Four Seasons" by Vivaldi into something new, fresh and completely captivating. He'd be our after-dinner entertainment (while Brad and I are, ahem, 'doing the dishes').
My guest of honor (I know, I'm cheating) would be Nelson Mandella, who seriously, is in a different league than the others. Wouldn't he have some stories to tell...

Who would YOU add to the guest list? Please leave your suggestions in the comments!

40 comments:

Joely Sue Burkhart said...

Very interesting mix! I really need to see that new Bond movie... Although I'm a Sean Connery fan.

Anonymous said...

Wowie wow, that would be a fascinating dinner party, and I'd pay to sit back and eat popcorn and watch them all interact together -- particularly Ann Coulter with Hugo Chavez! ROFLMAO! A great TT list! :)

Anonymous said...

Great list! I would add Gary Larson (The Far Side cartoonist).

Anonymous said...

Interesting list. I would invite all poets.

Wylie Kinson said...

Joely -- you just wait til you see Daniel as Bond! Even the die-hardest Connery fans have approved to Mr. Craig ;)

Mom of 3 -- he would be good. I'm a big fan of his and get his one-a-day desk calendar every year in my Christmas stocking. Have you ever seen the one with the two deer in the forest, "Bummer about the birthmark, Hal." (big red target)- hilarious.

Rose - that's a whole other TT13!! I'm going to do my dream author dinner party one of these days!

Gene Bach said...

Hmmm, who would I invite? Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Shoeless Joe Jackson, Hank Aaron...can you tell I like baseball? LOL!

I also like the Gary Larson suggestion but I would also add Bill Watterson and have them both at the same time. My two favorite cartoonists at the same table at the same time...how cool would that be?

Gene

Candy Minx said...

Wow what a gathering!

I would have Jolie and Pitt!I love her, not in the pervy way I love him...but I love her. Jon Stewart, good one! I get my news from him and Stephen Colbert and Bill maher now all the time! Much better than the "real" news.

did you know Coulter (the sexist fascist ever) is a Grateful Dead fan? Weird huh?

Yeah, Steve jobs would be pretty interesting.

And ah Bono...yummmy!

I'd like to eat and visit with Harold Bloom, Cormac McCArthy (hey Oprahs next book is by one of my very favourite writers...din't I drop his name here last week?) and Oprah herself in fact...and ...um...Johnny Depp ERP!!!!

Here's my Tt, its a small survey about questions I am really curious about...of art and the home...

http://gnosticminx.blogspot.com/2007/03/candys-special-tour-of-art-on-ebay.html

Crystal said...

That would definitely be an ummm, interesting dinner. :)

Happy Thursday.

Marie said...

at your dinner table, can you pls. ask Brangelina if they're still interested to adopt a few more kids??? :) :) :) great T13 list this week!!

Tink said...

You got me thinking again... about who I'd invite to my dinner... Robbie Williams would be my guest of honour, though I wouldn't dare to compare him to yours. Different league precisely!
My T13 is about posts without comments.

Anonymous said...

Invite me too, please. After reading this list you have me very curious as to the dead people you'd invite. Love the creativity in these posts.

Happy TT Day!

Darla said...

Brad Pitt and Daniel Craig? Is it warm in here?

I'm still cracking up about the cold porridge at the kiddy table.

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

I'd love to be a fly on the wall at THAT one. But... are you sure you want to subject the kids to Ann Coulter? *grin*

Christina said...

Interesting list! Happy TT

Anonymous said...

Great idea for a TT.

(Similar to my own--great minds think alike) I'd pick Daniel Craig over Brad Pitt any day of the week though.

Mama Duck said...

Steve Jobs!! DH would like Jon Stewart as well. But Steve Jobs first. Great list! Happy TT!

Lisa - Lil' Duck Duck

Emma Wayne Porter said...

Mmmm.... Daniel Craig....

The only known reason to be grateful for Speedos.

Unknown said...

If Daniel is coming over I am so there too! Just try and stop me!

*drool*

Unknown said...

Wow! That's one hell of a dinner party.

The Anne Coulter remark, made me fall out my chair laughing btw.

Rhian said...

great list! I've had Michael Stipe and Peter Buck over once for dinner eons ago when they came to see my son after he was born. Used to hang with RuPaul at the college but he never actually came over to eat. Wycliffe Gordon still comes by for drinks and cigars...but i think that's it on my celeb in the house list. Oh wait - Jerome Preston Bates from Law & Order / Oz came over for dinner last year with cast from a play. I guess that kinda counts.

Vicky said...

I'll take any of the emergency task force members - any age, anytime! ;) Gotta go now... have a brain full of fantasies!

Happy TT!

L^2 said...

Very interesting list! I'd love to be at that dinner party too.
Thanks for visiting my list.

Anonymous said...

Now this is a fun list. I want to come to dinner. And bring Bill Maher with me, just for some added fun ;-)

Barbara said...

Interesting dinner - But, Ann Coulter will take the stage. Nothing, absolutely nothing bothers her!

Check out my TT

Michelle Pillow said...

Um, can I have an invite to that party? :D

Michelle
http://michellepillow.com/authorblog/

Elle Fredrix said...

Ann Coulter! OMG, that was so funny!

Great list.

Rene said...

Maybe throw in Maureen Dowd. She and Ann Coulter would be a blast to watch.

Amy Ruttan said...

What no Gerard Butler?

*sigh* I guess if it's dinner for 13.

Great list! Happy TT!

impwork said...

You'll need a big table to fit them all round ;-)

Denise Patrick said...

I think I'd like to be invited to that dinner. Whatcha serving? Great TT.

Amy's Blah, Blah, Blogging said...

I just love Bono! He would definitely be on a top spot for me too!

Thanks for stopping by!

Anonymous said...

Swap out Brad Pit (but leave Angelina of course) for Viggo Mortensen and I'll bring the wine!

Raggedy said...

I began reading and it looked serious so I took a sip of water and when I hit #6 the water spewed from my mouth and I slid back just in time. The keyboard almost got a bath.
Fascinating dinner party. I would love to attend. Bono is awesome!
I posted a vid of The Corrs with Bono that was fantastic.
Terrific Thursday Thirteen!
Thank you for your visit.
Have a wonderful day!
Happy TT'ing!
*^_^
(=':'=)
(")_ (")Š
Raggedy

Anonymous said...

Fantastic list! I'd invite every one of them except for Bono. And I'm with you for the shallow reason to have Brad Pitt over. lol

Amelia Elias said...

Terrific list! Now that's a dinner party I'd love to attend. Am I the only one who thinks Jon Stewart is really hot?

Angela/SciFiChick said...

Hello, Daniel Craig! I'd only want him at the dinner party... the rest could go home. ;)

Twisted Cinderella said...

Very interesting list. I had to google Ann Coulter. LOL.

Anonymous said...

You've got a great list there! I'd love to hear what you all would discuss if you were at the table all at once.

Anonymous said...

Interesting list! From what I've heard, Richard Branson is a really cool person. I've applied for a web dev position with one of his companies - we'll see how that goes. (Though I'd be very, very surprised if he saw my resume...but it would be cool to work for his companies, anyway.) Who would I put on my list...

First off, I'd have to invite someone who could cook...because I can't, and if there's to be a dinner, someone's got to do it. And a house filled with the aromas of good cooking is so inviting! Probably someone from the southern US (knows how to make good, comforting food and knows how to serve good portions - not too large, not too small) or from Italy (wonderful food, excellent blendings of spices but the food's not concealed by the seasonings. Well-made risotto Milanese is amazing!!!)

James Alan Gardner, Canadian science fiction author. I love his stories. He's probably full of other concepts he hasn't gotten to explore as much...and I'd love to hear some of his other ideas expanded upon. Plus he apparently plays a riotous piano :D

Richard Jeni - great comedian, caustic but not acerbically bitter, good observations.

Nathan Fillion. Looks very nice, seems like a stand-up guy, wickedly funny sense of humor, AND he's a gamer-geek. Triple score!

Steven Spielburg. He can make a story out of anything. Sure, he does a lot of things that people dismiss as "popcorn cinema" - but what are stories, except reflections of ourselves? We don't all live soulful, philosophizing lives. (Nor do we all ski down the snow-covered flanks of the Himalayas in an inflatable raft...but thanks ever so, I'll skip that part.)

That's all I can think of for my own pitiful list. I'm a lousy hostess.

Shelly Kneupper Tucker said...

I didn't get around to everyone yesterday, and I'm sorry I didn't see these! Jon Stewart-yes, Bono-yes, Angelina Jolie-meh.
Again, I'd sit at the table and enjoy. You have good taste.