Sunday, October 21, 2007

To make a short story long...

I have a knack of underestimating. And that's and understatement.

On October 12th, when my WIP was 12,000 words, I announced that I could see the proverbial light at the end of the proverbial tunnel. I was oh so close to my 15,000 goal.

Twenty days later (and an additional 20,000 words) and I still haven't written 'The End'.

I'd like to say that I've only got the end scene to write, but I don't want to jinx myself. LOL
Seriously, true. I just need to come up with a sex-bomb ending and this puppy is done, fini, complete.

But can I, as a romantica writer, admit to being sexed-out? I'm getting 'Tab A' into 'Slot B' burn-out (and yes, we've already covered 'Slot C'...)

Or perhaps I just need a few days away from this manuscript, away from these characters that have kept me awake for the past month. This is the fastest I've ever written --yet still shamefully slow next to my Six Degree Sisters!
I don't know how you NaNo Sweaters do it! My hat's off...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, congratulations! You're so close, and you'll be typing The End before you know it. I can't wait to read your new story!

I know exactly what you mean about stories morphing as you write them -- HoBB did that, and I kept thinking, "just a couple more scenes" and they'd stretch into several more scenes, and the story morphed so much that now I'm having to streamline from the beginning! :)

LOL @ "sexed out!" :-D

Wylie Kinson said...

Hey TL - And I can't wait to read HoBB!!
I used to enjoy writing 'short' but I've somehow morphed into a rambler...

Amy Ruttan said...

I watched Grey's Anatomy today. Do an additional 20,000k WOW,you are smokin'. Take a break from your burn out and it'll come back to you.

I swear.

Ann said...

20,000? Awesome. You'll reach the end in no time.
No Nanos, here but I am sweating (okay, not so much, I was finally able to turn off the A/C *g*). I'm taking it slowly this time, 750 words a day. My goal this time round is to actually write everyday.
my word verification=rnycatnp- is this catnap or catnip?

Red Garnier said...

Wylie you can do it, yahoo!! AND you are kicking super butt, I haven't written that fast in ages. I just love it when a story flows. And sex-bomb ending...hmm...maybe a little wine will help stir up the mood?

Anonymous said...

Don’t worry about the number of words. A story should take as long as it needs, and it is the end of the tale that is the target, not the word count. As Mozart said about notes in his operas “I use as many as are required: no more and no less.”

I hope you find your sex bomb ending. Of course, I will be far too bashful ever to read it, bu tit will be comforting to know that it is there.

Sparky Duck said...

great goose, can't you just have the story end in a firey pirate battle, with the villain going down a whirlpool to his demise? Wait that sounds familiar.

Rene said...

I don't write romantica but I usually have a couple of love scenes in my books. I used to really love writing these scenes but I've found as I've gotten older, I don't enjoy them as much. I'd rather write an action scene with lots of gore instead. I'm not sure why.