Sunday, April 27, 2008

Seven Random Things Meme

So... I cut blogging down to two times a week and it seems I can't even keep up with that! Pathetic...

The post I intended for this past Thursday was a meme. TL tagged me for this 7 Things Meme and these are the rules:

I must tell seven random and/or interesting things about myself. Then I have to get five blog buddies to play, too, and link to their blogs. And I have to post the rules.

This is troublesome...
I've done similar memes and I'm not sure I can come up with 7 new things, so forgive me the repitition, but I'm going to try and tie each 'thing' to writing.

1. I appeared in a popular daytime soap opera back in the late 80's. Five walk-ons, one solid line. It was fun experience, and although I was diehard fan of this show in the past, after reading the (inane) scripts, I haven't watched it since. If you watch soaps, try this: walk away from the screen and just listen. Listen from another room, close your eyes, whatever, but just listen to the dialogue and you'll see exactly what I mean.
If you're a fellow writer, you'll be shocked at what they get away with.

2. I may be 4o-something but I still feel 27. Sometimes I act 7.
When I write, I get to be all different ages.

3. Obsurity scares me.
Is this why I write?? Do I want to somehow leave a mark? Hmmm...

4. I'm prone to panic attacks and I hate myself for it. I used to love to travel, try new things, and like a true Sagittarian, would hop from one adventure to the next. What happened to me? I'm now afraid to fly and can't stomach kiddie rides at the amusement park! Just thinking about being trapped or riding on a public bus accelerates my heartbeat to dangerous levels.
It makes me feel better that I can still live through my characters :)

5. I hate housework. I really really loathe the entire process because there's no end. You just finish one task and there's another waiting. You do it all and realize you've got to start all over again from task one.
That's my favorite thing about writing -- there's a beginning, middle and end. Ah,... satisfaction.

6. I'm a horrible sleeper. I fight going to sleep, I'm restless when I do sleep, I wake up often during the night and am plagued by 'vivid-dream syndrome'. No matter how tired I am, it takes me at least 30 minutes to fall asleep once my head hits the pillow.
One reason I started writing is because during that 30 minutes, I have people talking in my head pleading with me to let their stories be told.

7. Sometimes I wish my cats could talk. There eyes are so expressive, I'm sure they'd have so much to say! Perhap explain the whole 'butt-licking' thing...
This has nothing to do with writing, except that both my cats sit on my desk while I write. Sometimes I read a scene aloud to them and they listen (seemingly) attentively. I get an occassional blink or fuzzy head butt, but I'd love to get some solid feedback!

I'm tagging Leah, Amy, m., and Christine ... and anyone else who wants to play!

7 comments:

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

I've never read to the cat. I'm not sure what he'd do (he's currently in my lap).

I, too, act more like 27 or 7 than I do my real age. I think it's the writer in us. It keeps us young.

Julia Phillips Smith said...

I didn't know about the soap opera credit, Wylie. Very cool. It doesn't matter that the scripts are inane. The fans love the characters, who could read phonebooks and they'd still tune in. I've actually gotten quite a kick out of my mom, who started watching 'General Hospital' with Gram. She'd tell me about the writing arcs she could see developing. I just get a big kick out of that for some reason.

I wish I could hear my dog talk, too. Right now she'd be asking me for doggy Midol, cause she's on her doggy period.

Anonymous said...

Loved reading your meme, my friend! We've sure got a lot in common, but we knew that. :)

I wish my cats could talk, too! I'd love to know what's on their fuzzy minds. The butt-sniffing thing cracks me up. In our house, we have two boy cats (an older one and a younger one) and two girl cats (again, an older one and a younger one). The young boy, MaoMao, loves sniffing the girls' butts, and it really horks them off sometimes! The boys tend to be bigger butt sniffers than the girls, though the girls occasionally butt-sniff, too. It seems to be a friendly gesture among cats, an invitation to play.

Ha. How I do run on about feline butt-sniffing! :)

I'm prone to insomnia, too, and it sucks golf balls through garden hoses.

And ack, housework -- I, too, loathe its never-ending quality.

Like you and Susan, I feel 27. Isn't that funny, for us to hone in on that number. Just the other day, I was telling hubby "I feel 27."

So funny about the soap opera dialogue -- yes, it's horrid, and so are the plots! I occasionally catch part of a soap opera in a doctor's waiting room, and oh my goodness, the plots recycle themselves again and again -- love triangle after love triangle after love triangle. I used to watch them with my Gram when I was a kiddo, and they haven't changed a bit. You think they'd come up with something a little less stale!

And #3 -- 100% agreement here.

Hugs to you, my friend! And purrs from the Ballicai!

Wylie Kinson said...

Hiya SHG! You should try reading to your cat sometime. I can just imagine the influence Trevor could have on the Feline Domain!! LOL

Julia - awww, is your doggy feeling cranky today? Me too...
And, oh, I used to LOVE GH. I would run home from high-school just to catch the last 1/2 hour. I go way back to the Laura and Scotty/Luke days. Then I moved on to Y&R and now... nada. :(

Wylie Kinson said...

TL - 27 must indeed be a magic number! I think anything under 25 and you could still be considered immature. But at 27, you still have ideals and dreams and feel inconquerable (if that's even a word!). I always want to feel like that.
And you had me LOL at your butt-sniffing rant. HILARIOUS.

Leah Braemel said...

You and I can be 27 together. And as for the sleeping - I thought I was the only one like that. Always have been like that. Same with the housework.

I just did a 6 things random things about me meme that Christine tagged me for ... You mean I've got to come up with 7 NEW things? OMG the pressure!

Anonymous said...

Is #4 typical Sagittarian (I'm a Sag)? I would have thought #3 more typical, because obscurity scares me too.