Monday, June 23, 2008

More in movies: Stardust, Fool's Gold and sex appeal in general

EEKS! How did it get to be Monday so quickly??

First - go ye to Red Garnier's website. She's having a contest and there's a $50 gift certificate up for grabs.

Last week I blogged about movies and someone (was it you Grammar Geek?) recommended Stardust. Well I rented it for me and the 8 year old to watch and we LOVED it.
It's a lot like The Princess Bride, in terms of uniquely wonderful characters (Robert DeNiro as a 'poofy' pirate was hilarious) and fairytaleish qualities. The comic relief was as plentiful and satisfying as the fights and romance. And low and behold, who did I spy playing a very minor (2 scenes only) character but my new obsession, Henry Cavill. Even playing a pompous wigged ass he was adorable ;)
Pictured left is Charlie Cox who plays Tristan, the romantic lead. Claire Danes is the female lead, but who want to see her, right?

Also caught Fool's Gold with Kate Hudson and Matthew Mc... McConau.. whatever. You know who I mean.
It was enjoyable, but I'm glad I didn't blow $12 (+popcorn) at the movie theater. Then again, if seeing a shirtless Mattie on my large HD was satisfying, maybe it would have been worth the theater cost.
That man is eye-can-dy! Woo ha.
I really didn't buy the whole romance angle of the story and I think I'll blame Kate. Though I think she's cute as button and seems like a fun-loving gal, she just doesn't seem to have the sexual chemistry vibe with any of her co-stars.
Some actors have it, some don't.
Take Halle Berry, for instance. Gorgeous, great actress. But I've never found her to exude sex-appeal on-screen. Why is that?
Then you take someone like... (thinking)... Angelina Jolie (I know, I know, she's a love-her/hate-her example) but you can't deny that woman is walking sex.
Or for a less controversial actress, how about Catherine Zeta Jones? Remember her in Zorro with Antonio... hot. Or with Clooney in that one about the divorce (the name escapes). Even as a bitchy, anal, ocd chef in No Reservations, she still managed to cook up some chemistry with Aaron Eckhart.
Opinions please? The floor is open...

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved Stardust, but thought Fool's Gold was kind of a mess. I read while I watched it which shows you how it drew me in. I agree on the chemistry thing. I think Kate's cuteness hurts her, but I know some guys you like that.

Anonymous said...

Early morning typo. That should be " I know some guys WHO like that".

Kimber Chin said...

I LOVED Stardust
and
Princess Bride,
well,
I re-watched it last night
(I think it was on AMC).
It still holds up.

I watched Fool's Gold on the plane,
the only reason I watched it all the way through (they won't let you leave like they do in the theater, drat that). I didn't believe the attraction (or affection) at all.

I agree that Angelina is walking sex. Heck, she interests ME and I'm about as straight as it gets. Plus I've know someone who met her in real life and she was dang nice to him. Jennifer Aniston, on the other hand, was not. Treated him like something stuck under her shoe. Which was interesting (and kind of amusing) because before that, he was firmly and very vocally in the Jennifer Aniston camp.

Just goes to show... you never know.

Jane said...

I love The Princess Bride, so I will go check out Stardust. I don't care for Claire Danes though.

Thomma Lyn said...

Another Princess Bride fan here! :) And Stardust sounds like fun.

Yeah, the chemistry thing is hard to define. It's either there, or it ain't.

Wylie Kinson said...

Kristy -- I folded laundry while I watched, so yeah... I agree with the non-sucking-in thing.

Kimber - LOL on Ang. I remember saying to hubby just after we'd seen Lara Croft "Yeah, I'd do her" and watching his jaw unhinge and drop to the floor. I think that made his little fantasy life perfect ;)

Wylie Kinson said...

Jane, re Claire Danes, I'm afraid your opinion of her won't change from Stardust. I found her the weakest point of the movie. And it's not that I don't like her, I just think she was miscast. They really needed someone more delicate to be a believable 'vulnerable fallen star' and Claire does NOT carry the vulnerable vibe.
But it's still a great movie!

Wylie Kinson said...

TL - If you liked Princess Bride, then you'll like Stardust too. A lovely fantasy to escape into :)

J.K. Coi said...

I liked Stardust, especially Michelle Pfeifer as the bad witch and DeNiro as the pirate. Very well done.

Have you rented PS I Love You yet? I liked it very much. But I cried. i don't think you can get through it without crying, and OMG Gerard Butler *sigh*

Other than that I haven't seen many movies. I went to the theatre, but we watched Kung Fu Panda with my son.

Amy Ruttan said...

I guess I'll have to see Stardust.

I just saw Wedding Crashers this past weekend.

That's how behind I am.

Shelley Munro said...

I always seem miles behind on movies. I haven't seen either of these movies. There was another Kate and Matthew movie on TV here recently where she was trying to get him to breakup with her in 12 days. I can't remember the name and didn't watch it because it looked stupid.

I have Zorro on DVD but haven't had a chance to watch it. I really like Catherine Zeta Jones and Antonio. You've inspired me to pull it out to watch.

Wylie Kinson said...

JK - I HAVEN'T seen PS I Love You, yet... I keep picking it up and putting it down again. I know I'll like it, but I hate KNOWING I'll cry in a movie. Does that make sense? I hate my inner-wuss ;)
But perhaps this is a good weekend to watch it since hubby is away.

Amy - you'd LOVE Stardust. I know it! Wedding Crashers was so funny. A good grown-up comedy. Knocked Up couldn't hold a candle to it.

Shelley, I haven't seen Zorro in YEARS but remember loving it at the time. And you didn't miss much with How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days. it was okay, but again, no chemistry...

Kealie Shay said...

Okay, I just adored Stardust. It has gone into my keeper shelf. My kids thought I was a little silly for loving it but it was a great story.

Haven't seen the other one.