Wednesday, October 01, 2008

For the love of autumn

I LOVE AUTUMN!!!
...and not just for the Pumpkin Spice Lattes at Starbucks.
In my part of the world, we've had a gentle journey into fall. Up until this past weekend, we were still in shorts, the trees are still mostly green and the weather has been lovely. The Kinsons decided to take advantage of all the goodness and go for a hike.
And we needed to tear the kids away from the Wii :)

This one looks staged, don't you think? But this is how I found it, no kidding.


Sweetness and Light on the forest path.


We live in an area with primarily deciduous forest, but I grew up in an area that was a mix of deciduous and coniferous. They're both incredibly beautiful, though the conifers don't change color or drop leaves... instead they provide much needed greenery in the dead of winter.


My obsessions with 'growths on trees' continues.

And isn't this a neato plant?

10 comments:

Karen Erickson said...

I'm jealous. It's still 90+ degrees around here. Though I went up to the mountains this morning and it was much cooler. Sigh...fall will get here soon. I hope!

Lovely pix.

Thomma Lyn said...

Oh, so beautiful! I love your pictures. And I'm glad you and your family enjoyed such a lovely hike.

LOL, I, too, have a fascination with weird growths on trees! Today I took a photo of some odd pink fungal globules on a log. It's posted on my blog today (among other pics, *snork*! :) ).

J.K. Coi said...

Wonderful pictures, Wylie! I'm glad you got a chance to enjoy the nice weather we had, although it's turning cold now, and the rain is supposed to last a day or two...at least where I am, your area might be different :)

Rene said...

I love the pictures. It is still too hot to be outside. This weekend it is supposed to cool down. We generally don't get fall until November.

Anonymous said...

Very nice photos!

Amy Ruttan said...

Now I have your blog to go to now to see beautfiul fall scenery as well as TL's.

Anonymous said...

Great pics! I love October. I've already decorated the house for Halloween. The lights, the cute black cat, the smiling jack o' laterns... Yep, yep, yep. Hehehe!

Shelley Munro said...

The photos look beautiful, but you're not going to sway me. I'm not swapping spring for anything. Roll on summer, I say!

Julia Phillips Smith said...

I love your pictures, Wylie, especially the not-staged leaf. I often marvel at how things get arranged by nature. The ones my family can never get over are the rock formations out by Peggy's Cove, left there by glaciers. Freaky.

M. said...

checked to make sure i hadn't wandered into thomma lynn's blog by accident...