Friday, November 21, 2008

Network Execs, YOU SUCK!

I don't watch that much television... That said, I was pretty excited about this year's line up because there are some excellent and unique dramas out there and I am sick sick sick of reality television and two-bit talent shows.

Apparently, I'm the only one who thinks so...
They cancelled My Own Worst Enemy. WTF? The cast was top-notch: Christian Slater, the old farmer dude from that pig movie, Babe -- you know who I mean, right?, Madchen Amick (sorry M, don't know how to put those dots above your 'a') and a few others whom I recognize but their names aren't forthcoming in my anger-haze. The writing was tight and the overall concept was unique. I ask again, WTF? Couldn't they have given it more than a 4 episode chance????

Another of my faves, Eli Stone, just got the axe. Again - excellent acting, fantastic feel-good stories, ... POOF!
Fuck you ABC.
(Yes Nicholas, I just swore on my blog. First and last time.)

Though I didn't watch Pushing Daisies, I understand it was an excellent show. Bye-bye. It's gone. Now I'll never get the chance.

How can sludge like Desperate Housewives continue to clog the air. And though I enjoy Law and Order and CSI, do we really need the twelve sub-versions? REALLY?? Cause advertisers, don't you realize that you're selling the same stuff to the same people? Does that make any sense?? Don't you want NEW viewers? NEW consumers?

Hey, network execs. Y'all need to be bitch-slapped.
I AM YOUR TARGET DEMOGRAPHIC. ME. WYLIE KINSON - HOMEMAKER, FEMALE BETWEEN THE AGES OF 18-45. SHOPPER.
And you have alienated me.
I may not watch the shows during scheduled air time when your totals are being tallied but I AM WATCHING.
Between PVR's, On-demand cable viewing, the availability of entire-season DVDs, the current Neillson Rating system is obsolete.

I'm going to read a book.

11 comments:

Rene said...

Hence the reason I enjoy HBO and Showtime.

I agree, how many CSI's are really necessary?

The only new network show I watch is "Eleventh Hour." I'm hoping they keep it on the air. Oh, and "Fringe" although its losing my interest.

Thomma Lyn said...

hehe, you tell 'em, Wylie! :-)

Twelve sub-versions of CSI? Holy moly! Talk about CSI saturation!

Wylie Kinson said...

Rene - I love the HBO and Showtime series. More often than not, our Canadian network CBC picks them up and airs then in their unfiltered glory. I'll never forget my surprise when I moved back here and heard Tony Soprano swearing and screwing at 10pm on a network station!
I'm a fan of Fringe too. Which probably means is next on the chopping block...
Haven't seen the 11th Hour. Should I?

Wylie Kinson said...

TL, I maaaay have been exaggerating with 12. And I do enjoy CSI (though it's not MUST-SEE) it seems like every time I turn on the television, some version of CSI or Law & Order is on, from original to reruns...

Amy Ruttan said...

This is why I stopped watching TV a long time ago.

Seriously.

Anonymous said...

They always cancel shows I love.
Firefly
VR5
Profiler
Dark Skies

You name it.
*sigh* They'll just put CSI Atlanta on or something.

Shelley Munro said...

I've been muttering about Eli Stone. I really liked that show and over here they played three episodes of the first season and decided it wasn't performing well and took it off. They didn't even play the entire season!!

And you're right about the CSI/crime type shows. We have so many on that they all seem to blend together. I don't watch any of them these days.

Leah Braemel said...

Wow. Wylie swore.

I mean ... just ... Wow!

NerdSnark said...

See this is why I read you can at least get an ending. Just think about it, if these canceled shows were books they would stop at page 100.

Ann said...

I stopped watching network tv a while ago, I do however frequently give in to my obsession for Food Network. :)
I've also nominated you for a blogging award over on my blog.

Julia Phillips Smith said...

I rarely watch TV because anything I ever liked got cancelled after one or two episodes, and I don't like dreck. TV is full to the brim with dreck because they follow the ancient creed of 'if it worked for Euripides, repeat ad nauseum.'

Nauseum is right. It's distressing that art has to reach an audience through business. Business by its very nature kills any form of creativity. Creativity by its nature pushes boundaries, but business can't count on a profit from anything unknown. So we get 12 versions of CSI and 'Desperate Housewives' and nothing else.

*insert Snoopy's bleh noise here*