Friday, September 25, 2009

But she promised to only brag once!

Hey, remember I mentioned that futuristic, post-apocalyptic book of mine that finalled in the Original Golden Opportunity Contest -- JUMP ZONE???
(Yes, I know... I promised to only brag once... but this is more of a reference point rather than outright tooting-of-horn)

Where was I? Oh yes, the future! It's impossible to foresee the future but one must make educated guesses, extrapolations, etc... based on the knowledge we now have. A writer's future world MUST have some degree of authenticity so readers don't toss it to the wall and declare it absolute rubbish.
In my case, I wrote about a future world that was devasted by a combination of war and climate change... so naturally, I can't wait to see this film starring one of my fave Brit actors Pete Postlethwaite (try saying that name after a few pints!):

The Age of Stupid: A wakeup call on climate change

I'd love your thoughts.

One last thing. If you enjoy historical romances and you haven't read Judith James's BROKEN WING, I urge you to. It's very different. Busts the comfortable barriers of more traditional HRs but in a refreshing, dark and dramatic way. Go. Read. Support this book.

8 comments:

Thomma Lyn said...

WOO HOO for Jump Zone -- it sounds like you've done an excellent job with your world building, in creating not only a good story but a realistic scenario to make people think.

And The Age of Stupid sounds like an intriguing and important film -- yes, a wake-up call is desperately needed. Love the title!

M. said...

Big props, and all that.

Hey, Judith James has a second book out - very differernt from the first but also enjoyable. Tell me if you'd like to take a look.

Wylie Kinson said...

Hey TL -- re the Age of Stupid: these kinds of movies can either be a resounding wake up call or they could cross the line and make it a doom and gloom joke. I sincerely hope it's the former!

Wylie Kinson said...

M. I do indeed want to read the second of JJ's books. Definitely. I'm in the middle of a wip at the moment, but as soon as I'm done, maybe we can do another trade?

Hey - see you at the October workshop, I hope?!

Julia Phillips Smith said...

I love the idea of 'crowd financing'.

And I LOVED Broken Wing. LOVED.

Red Garnier said...

Well MY crystal balls says Jump Zone is awesome with a capital A and some hot shot editor will see this . . . and soon! Your world is amazing, Wylie, I wish I could create future worlds like you do! Off to buy JJ's Broken Wing!! Love different books!

Wylie Kinson said...

Julia -- yeah, that crowd financing thing has me intrigued. I wonder, if it pans out (pun intended - LOL) if it'll set some sort of precedence. Maybe MORE socially conscious films can get made that way.

Wylie Kinson said...

Red - if you like different, you'll love Judith James. Again... it strays so far from traditional cookie cutter HR's that your head will swim! But in a very good way.

(To hell with what Miss Giggles says... Gabriel isn't a whiner, he's a damaged soul that acts out because of what was done to him. When someone's been abused their entire lives, it becomes part of their personality.)