Sunday, October 31, 2010

National Novel Writing Month, November 2010

With only hours before the November 1st start date, I decided to take part in National Novel Writing Month, aka NaNo.
The object: write 50,000 words in 30 days.

I've shied away from this in the past for a few reasons, the most important one being that I'm not a fast writer. I plod along, edit and research as I go and I know I'm going to have a tremendously difficult time shutting off my inner editor.

With my youngest in full-time school this year, I don't have a lot of excuses not to at least try. And I figure if I tell the world of my intentions, I'll be too embarrassed to give up by Nov 6th, *hee*.

I'm also hoping my buddies, Amy Ruttan, Kimber Chin, Christine D'Abo and JK Coi, will hold me accountable, crack the whip when needed and out me as a loser/giver-uper/defeatest if I try and pull out.

Yup - crazy. I'm feeling a tinge of regret already, and it's 2 1/2 hours before the starting gun. Eeks!

How 'bout you? Nano-ing or Nono-ing?

2 comments:

Julia Phillips Smith said...

Definitely NaNo-ing. Go, Wylie, go!!

Hopefully the spirit of turning off the internal editor will result in some fascinating personal discoveries for you. I know NaNo has really delivered that for me, especially last year. I basically finished my storyline at the 30,000-word mark and had 20,000 words still to go - what was I going to write about?

Well - I plunged into backstory. And the discoveries I made there really changed things in the rest of my manuscript. I never would have made these discoveries if there hadn't been a need to drive myself to fill the word count.

Wylie Kinson said...

Thanks for cheering me on, Julia - and for sharing your past experience. I'm so hoping for some 'aha' moments!!
And rah rah rah *pompom swish* for you too!!